Manually migrate from 2.0.x to 2.1 vmware appliance
How to migrate from 2.0.x to 2.1 vmware appliance
For the community edition of the cyn.in vmware appliance, the automatic upgrade path is not available. The online update service is only for enterprise customers, when you try to use the update service with the community appliance, you will get an error like "Unauthorized to access rap.rpath.com through cynin.appliance.cynapse.com". To migrate from any old version of cyn.in community edition vmware appliance, manual steps have to be carried out. This includes manually copying the Data.fs file from the old appliance into the new one by using Samba to mount a shared directory on the host machine. I outline the steps below:
Determine host machine IP address and share a folder
- Determine the main host's IP address: This can be done on windows by typing "ipconfig" into a new cmd window. In linux this is done by using the "ifconfig" command. Note down the IP address you'll need it later.
- Create a share folder and give public write access to it. This folder will be used as a temporary location to copy files out from the old VMWare appliance and into the new one.
- Note down the share location and the IP address, you'll be using it in the next step.
Boot up the old appliance and get Data.fs file out of it
- Boot up the old appliance, and wait for the command line login screen to come up.
- Click on the command line (to give it focus) and login with root. The root login has no password, you will directly land into the command line in root mode.
- Ping the IP address you noted down earlier, to ensure that base networking is working by using "ping IPADDRESS" command. If ping requests are coming back fine, press Ctrl + C and continue to the nex step. The response you should see to the ping command is like this: "64 bytes from IPADDRESS: icmp_seq=x ttl=128 time=x.y ms".
- Create a folder in the /mnt directory to point to the share that you will be mounting by doing: "mkdir /mnt/transferfolder"
- Mount the share location you created earlier using the smbmount command like this: "smbmount //IPADDRESS/YOURSHAREDFOLDER /mnt/transferfolder -o username=YOURUSERNAME,password=YOURPASSWORD". So if your IP address is 192.168.0.198, your shared folder name is sharedfolder, your windows user name is foo and your password is bar, then the command that you would run would be: smbmount //192.168.0.198/sharedfolder /mnt/transferfolder -o username=foo,password=bar
- Shut down the cyn.in service by typing "/etc/init.d/cynin stop". If you get a message saying failed to stop cyn.in then kill the cynin daemon by typing "killall python2.4".
- Go to the Data store directory: "cd /cynin/buildout/var/filestorage"
- Copy the Data.fs file to the mounted share: "cp Data.fs /mnt/transferfolder". That's it, you've got all the data of your old cyn.in instance out. Now shutdown the appliance by typing: "shutdown -h now".
Get the Data.fs file to the new appliance
- Boot up the new appliance, and wait for the command line login screen to come up and login with root, just like you did in the old version.
- Create a mount folder in the /mnt directory to point to the same share, and mount the share, just like earlier: Follow steps from 3 through 5 from the above section.
- Shutdown the cyn.in service by typing "/etc/init.d/cynin stop" - if you get an error use "killall python2.4" to kill all running python daemons.
- Go to the data store directory by doing: "cd /cynin/buildout/var/filestorage". Delete or move all files that are present in this folder. To delete all files, do "rm -Rf Data.*" OR to move all files use "mv Data.* /yournewlocation".
- Copy the old Data.fs file from your transferfolder by using "cp /mnt/transferfolder/Data.fs ."
- Set the correct permisssions on it by using "chown cynin:cynin Data.fs"
- Reboot by using the "reboot" command.
Occasionally, when a cyn.in version is updated, the base plone version also has got an update. You'll notice this as an exclamation mark next to the portal_migration tool in ZMI. If you see this exclamation mark against the portal migration (upgrades to newer plone versions) item in the list (in the /manage url, as explained beow), then there is an upgrade available. It is mandatory that you upgrade the plone installation (if an upgrade is available) prior to performing the next step.
Reinstall the ubify.policy product
- Boot up the new version cyn.in appliance, and determine the IP address.
- Open up your webbrowser and navigate to the following url - "http://IPADDRESS:8080/cynin/manage".
- This will take some time come up, if you've just booted the appliance - this is normal. This will give you a login/password prompt, use login as "siteadmin", password as whatever password you had set on your **OLD** version site. Once you login successfully, you'll be seeing the Zope Management Interface (ZMI). This is the low - level interface to manage the zope server, and we'll use this to update your installed cyn.in products to the newest version.
- Find the link called "portal_quickinstaller (Allows to install/uninstall products)" and click it.
- This will give you a list of Installable products and a list of Installed Products. Scroll down and you will find an item in the list called "Ubify Site Policy". This is the main cyn.in product (Ubify is the codename that we preserved for historical reasons). Click the checkbox next to the Ubify Site Policy link. NOTE: Do not click on the link, and do not select any other products - results will be unpredictable if you do.
- Scroll down and hit the Reinstall button. Do NOT click on the Uninstall button - that will erase all data, along with the uninstallation. When you click the Reinstall button, be very patient, the migration to the new version can take a **long** time - on large sites we've seen times of 15 - 20 minutes and more.
- When the page finishes loading, your site will be migrated to the new version of cyn.in. You can follow this procedure to migrate any old version of cyn.in to a new one. You should retain the old version's Data.fs file as a final backup of your old version appliance.
Changes that will be performed in the 2.0.x to 2.1 migration
- All member spaces data will be moved to spaces under a space called MemberSpaces at /root and they will be remade - Member folders are only used internally by the cyn.in system, from now on - for things like storing a user's status messages, and so on.
- Any application folders created in a Space will be collapsed. Example: If you created a Blog and added Blog Entries in it, the blog entries will be moved to the Space level and the Application folders will be deleted.
- Global Recycle bin folder will be created.
To migrate from any old version of cyn.in community edition vmware appliance, manual steps have to be carried out. This includes manually copying the Data.fs file from the old appliance into the new one by using Samba to mount a shared directory on the host machine.