Cynapse complies with the requirements of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and the FTC’s Rule interpreting COPPA (16 CFR § 512). Our websites are not directed to children and we do not knowingly collect any personally identifiable information from children under 13 years of age through our sites.
Information Collection and Use
Cynapse may collect personal data from customers both online and offline. In many cases, such information will be collected directly from you, such as through a transaction or inquiry, or your submission of a form, registration, or communication to us. Information may also be gathered from third-party sources (including without limitation, opt-in lists, publicly available data, consumer reporting agencies, other companies, and referrals) and through your activities and interactions with us. We may combine data collected from these disparate sources unless we tell you otherwise.
Cynapse collects personal data about its customers in a number of ways. In this section, we describe what types of personal data we collect, the ways we collect it, and how we use it. While we have tried to be complete, this list is not necessarily exhaustive, given that these activities can vary from time to time.
The types of personal data typically collected by Cynapse may include the following, depending on your activities:
- Contact information, including name, title, street address (home, work), postal code, country, telephone numbers (home, work, cell, etc.), email address (home, work), company name, and other similar information.
- Personal/demographic information, including birthdate/age/age group, gender, birth date, level of education and the like.
- Authentication information, including user IDs, log-in names, passwords, password reminders, etc. (in addition to other personal data such as contact information, birth date, and the like).
- Transactional information, including products or services you download, inquire about, or request; payment information.
- User content, including information provided when you use one of our online communities, forums or other online means of communications, and all other user submissions and content you provide.
As you use our websites, some information can be “passively” collected using various technologies, such as cookies, web beacons, and navigational data collection (clickstream, log files, server logs). Your Internet browser automatically transmits some of this information, such as the URL of the website you just visited and the Internet Protocol (IP) address and browser version currently being used by your computer. Such technologies help us to keep track of your interactions with our websites and provide you with a more customized experience.
Cynapse websites may also use IP addresses for the same purposes identified above, as well as to analyze trends, administer the site, track users' movements, gather broad demographic information for aggregate use and to confirm that a particular individual affirmed his/her consent to specific legal terms.
We may use web beacons (also known as Internet tags or clear GIFs) on our websites to access and set cookies and otherwise help us to better understand how users are moving through our websites. Information provided by the web beacon includes the computer’s IP address, the type of browser being used, and the time that the web beacon was viewed. We may also use web beacons in emails and newsletters so that we know when such communications have been opened and to otherwise help us tailor our communications to individual users.
Finally, we also monitor the performance of our services and our sites in order to manage, maintain, and improve our services and sites. We (or our third party providers) may use tools to help prevent and block "spam" communications, viruses, spyware, and other harmful or unwanted communications and programs on the site. These tools may automatically scan any content you upload through the sites (or using functionality available via the sites) in order to help us protect you and the site against these harmful or unwanted communications and programs. However, these tools do not collect or disclose personally identifiable information about you.
- Conducting and following up on transactions. Cynapse may use personal information such as name, title, street address, phone number, email address, title, and/or company name to conduct transactions with you, process your order, contact you about your order, and so on.
- To contact us with questions, comment, or concerns. We provide a number of ways for you to contact us to ask questions, provide comments, or share concerns. This may occur, for example, via the “contact us” sections on Cynapse websites, or postal mail. Depending on the circumstances, we may collect your name, title, contact information, age group, message type, case number (if tied to a previous issue), comments, and other types of data relevant to the specific situation (e.g., product involved, use of the product, any problems with the product, and the like).
- To provide materials you request. We provide a number of ways for you to request materials from us, such as newsletters, blog/rss feeds, brochures, product literature, and the like. Cynapse may collect and use contact name, title, contact information, age-indicative information, demographic information, preferences, and other information relevant to responding to your request.
- To permit your participation in contests, sweepstakes, and other promotions. To participate in sweepstakes, contests and other similar promotions, we often collect name, title, contact information, age-indicative information, and gender, as well as other information related to the particular activity. We will indicate which information is required (e.g., to contact winners, to verify eligibility to participate, etc.) and which is optional (e.g., demographic information, preferences, etc., designed to help us better understand you and address your interests).
We may disclose personal data you provide to our affiliates and partners and to consultants, service providers, and contractors that we use to support our business and operations (e.g., delivery services, financial institutions, fulfillment services, technical support, advertising, public relations, media and marketing services, sweepstakes and contest-related services, legal services, call-in centers, e-commerce and other web-related services such as web hosting and web monitoring services, and event-related services such as online and offline data capture services) who have agreed to keep the information confidential and use it only to provide the applicable service(s). In some cases, we work with other companies who help to gather information from you or help us to communicate with you.
Where the law allows it, Cynapse may share customers’ personal data with affiliates or with selected third-party partners to enable them to market their or other selected third parties’ products and services to you.
We may also disclose personal data to third parties (including without limitation, governmental agencies) if required to do so by law, regulation, or court order; to respond to governmental and/or law enforcement requests; to identify, contact, or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to or interfering with our (or others') rights or property; to support any claim, defense, or declaration in a case or before any jurisdictional and/or administrative authority, arbitration, or mediation panel; or in connection with disciplinary actions/investigations. Likewise, we may disclose personal data to third parties in connection with the sale, assignment, or other transfer of Cynapse, its business or the site to which such data applies.
The recipients of customers’ personal data, and more generally these disclosures, may be located in Mumbai, India or other jurisdictions that might not provide a level of protection equivalent to the laws in your jurisdiction. By submitting personal data to Cynapse, you consent to the transfer of such personal data outside your jurisdiction.
We may make full use of all information that is de-identified or otherwise not in personally identifiable form, including without limitation, user-generated content. We will not, however, make use of any content you upload to a virtual online community that you or your organization has created through the use of our fee-based licensed products and services.
Materials provided to Cynapse or posted at any Cynapse website
Cynapse does not claim ownership of the materials you provide to Cynapse (including feedback and suggestions) or post, upload, input or submit to any Cynapse Web Site or its associated services (collectively "Submissions"). However, by posting, uploading, inputting, providing or submitting your Submission you are granting Cynapse, its affiliated companies and necessary sublicensees permission to use your Submission in connection with the operation of their Internet businesses including, without limitation, the rights to: copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, made accessible to search engines, reproduce, edit, translate and reformat your Submission; and to publish your name in connection with your Submission, unless otherwise governed and explicitly secured by additional contracts.
No compensation will be paid with respect to the use of your Submission, as provided herein. Cynapse is under no obligation to post or use any Submission you may provide and may remove any Submission at any time in Cynapse's sole discretion.
By posting, uploading, inputting, providing or submitting your Submission you warrant and represent that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to your Submission as described in this section including, without limitation, all the rights necessary for you to provide, post, upload, input or submit the Submissions.
Cynapse takes appropriate steps to protect personal data from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction, whether in transmission or storage. Please keep in mind, however, that there is no such thing as perfect security, and no Internet transmission is ever completely secure or error-free. Moreover, you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of any user name and password you use.
It’s Your Choice: Contact Preferences
We want to keep in touch with you in ways that you find to be beneficial. By submitting personal contact information, you are agreeing that we may communicate with you via email, telephone, direct mail, and/or other means of communication. If you don’t want us to use your contact information for promotional purposes (such as to tell you about other products and services that might be of interest), please tell us that when you provide your contact information. You can also let us know your preference later by contacting us as specified in the “Contact Us” section below, or by following the instructions in various communications that we may send you. Keep in mind that these preferences regarding promotional contacts do not mean that we might not contact you for other reasons, such as those related to an order you placed, an inquiry you made, a newsletter to which you may have subscribed, a membership you undertook, an event for which you registered, a legally required notice, and so on.
To keep personal data provided by you accurate, current, and complete, please contact us as specified in the “Contact Us” section. We can then take appropriate steps to update or correct such information in our possession, or to delete your information from our contact list.
Attention: Operation Manager
Cynapse India Pvt. Ltd.
802 Dheeraj Sagar